2. I noticed you’ve made many amazing cosplay, so how did you get started in with cosplay, what was your first cosplay?
I got started in cosplay at my very first convention in January of 2003, but I had been sewing and making costumes for years before that! My first costume was a true closet cosplay, but by Anime Boston that year, I had made a Yuna (FFX) costume for myself and helped my friends with 4 other Final Fantasy costumes. I never turned back after that! 10 years later I am still going strong!
3. What has been your favourite cosplay?
With all the costumes I have made, it is very hard to pick a favorite. I love both of my Eowyn costumes from Lord of the Rings. I am also quite fond of my recent original design based on Bollywood fashion and the Final Fantasy summon, Carbuncle.
4. Describe your creative process for starting a costume through completion.I see you accept cosplay commissions, so I think you can promote it to our readers as well.
5. What is the biggest learning curve you have learned about the hobby in the past years?
I have learned so many skills and techniques through this hobby, but I have also learned that I cannot be perfect at everything. So I’ve learned to ask for help, consult or commission people who are true experts! I have, most importantly, learned not to take cosplay too seriously, anytime it starts to feel stressful or like work, I take a step back and reevaluate why I want to do it, for fun and friends!
6. Do you have one piece of advice that you would give to cosplay virgins?
Never be afraid to ask for help! Introduce yourself to the cosplayers you admire and respect! It is a social hobby and we all can help each other be the best cosplayers possible! Also, do not let anyone tell you who or who not to cosplay as, this is your hobby and your choice! Do not listen to trolls on the Internet, they are just jealous. You are putting yourself out there when you cosplay and that does take courage and talent whether you’ve been doing it for 1 month or 10 years, so be confident, have fun, and ignore the haters.
7. Lastly, what is your con schedule looking like through 2013?
In 2013 I will be attending Katsucon, ColossalCon, Dragon*Con, AnimeUSA, and New York Comic Con. At Katsucon I am planning to wear my Sakizou Strawberry Ice Cream girl, Chihaya (fruits costume) from IDOLM@STER, and one of my Eowyn gowns! Possibly my Bunny Suit or Bollywood costumes as well! I always welcome people to introduce themselves to me at the con! Check out my Facebook page ( Kairi G Cosplay) before the con for my official schedule! Looking forward to meeting new friends! 🙂