Here, we are glad to share the interview with ThDeathAndStrawberrY, a cosplay talent from Spain. You may get fascinated by her Kaito Setsugetsuka Cosplay which we posted on our blog about a month ago. Very Impressive 🙂 ! ThDeathAndStrawberrY, thank you so much for accepting our interview.
1. Since cosplay becomes more and more popular, how do you think about the good things and also bad things on this performance art?
First of all, I think that most of these things are good. Now many people know about the hobby and they don’t see it as a weird hobby, even they congrats you if your costume is good. Bad things? Well I don’t know right now, but maybe the level of competitivity has increased a bit, because even If we say no, everyone wants to be the best or at least one of them.
2. Do you consider yourself a “cosplayer” year round, or only when participating in certain activities?
In my case is all the year, because there is no day I don’t think about cosplay o month I don’t plan something for the next convention or simply the next photoshoot, also when I’m shopping and I see for example a shirt like one of the characters I want to cosplay I buy it! Cosplay is incredibly addictive once you have started and you liked it!
3. Going to a venue with many people to watch you in costume and simply taking a photograph, which one is more meaningful?
I think the simple fact that many people see you in costume and also congrats for your hard work on it, is more meaningful because they talk to you and you can see their faces smiling, but in a photo you can’t show your completely costume, It is like the difference when you see a painting in your book or computer and you go to the museum an see it with your own eyes. Also when you take a photo you can upload it to internet and the amount of persons who see it is bigger than in a convention but I still prefer meet the people and hear them.
4. Is the creation of the costume or characters more valuable than the actual acting or vice versa, or is it a mix? As well, how much of the do-it-yourself mentality is admired? If someone just bought their whole costume, are they still a true cosplayer?
In my opinion, it is the mix of both of them what makes your costume in a great cosplay, well always is going to matter a bit more the appearance of the cosplay than act like the character, because the first thing people see is the costume, but If you don’t know how is the personality or the story of your character even how he/she acts, you’ll look a bit weird and in the photos the thing is to capture the character with his/her personality, so the mix is pretty important to make your costume stand out from the others.
5. Do you have one piece of advice that you would give to cosplay virgins?
Some good advice is not to focus on making a perfect costume if you just started on this hobby, we all have started from the bottom! Mainly you have to keep this in mind as a hobby with which you can have a good time with friends and no more matters!
6. Which contest theme do you mostly want to see at Miccostumes.com?
I’d like to see a contest about D.gray man cosplay! Due to I LOVE that manga 😀